Apple Pie was on my mind all day yesterday, because I was watching one of my favorite TV shows and they were eating apple pie on a Christmas episode and I instantly started searching for different vegan recipes. It was hard to find one that catered to my nutrition and health choices, so I took bits and pieces from different recipes and it turned into a magical vegan apple pie that I’m extremely proud of and friends and family seem to be enjoying it, especially my brother! I was thinking it better be delicious since I was cooking til 1 in the morning!!
Prep: 20-25 minutes | Cook time: 45-50 minutes
For this recipe, and since it was my first time actually making a pie, I bought Whole Wheat (animal product-free) crust from Sprouts, going to get lots more since they’re on sale til the end of the month! (:
I bought 6 Fuji apples from Trader Joe’s and sliced them thin, discarding the core, and that was enough for two pies! Which was great because I had to happily give a lot of slices to friends and family!
- 3/4 c. date (or brown) sugar
- 1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/2-1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (optional, I didn’t use any)
The best part about the filling is that you can make more than you need and freeze or can for later!!
– Combine all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and add in your apple slices and mix to get all the apples nice and covered.
– Fill the pie crust(s) to the top
– Cover with another pie crust (crumbled or whole). Or you can use Trader Joe’s Cinnamon Grahams Crackers and crumble them and cover the pie (this is what I used and it came out great!)
– Cover with tin foil to avoid burning the crumbs on top
– Cook on 350F for 45-55 minutes, or you can cook it faster for a shorter period of time, but I recommend cooking it slow.
– Ten minutes before it’s done, remove the tin foil and put back in the over for the additional 10 minutes. Let cool for about 8-10 minutes. Serve, share, & enjoy!